Around 8am most mornings, you will find me on the couch with the world’s snuggliest 4-year old strapped to my lap. In fact, the manner in which she wraps her arms and legs around me sort of reminds me of a little monkey we’re all familiar with: Curious George.
I’ll be the first to admit that the troublesome monkey doesn’t really interest me, but he has certainly grabbed the attention of my daughter. So, since I watch the show on a near daily basis, I got a little curious about the little guy…some musings from my brain:
- I think the man-with-the-yellow-hat went on an African safari, found George and brought him back to the U.S.
- Which makes me wonder, “How did that work with Customs?” And he’s also traveled to Scotland….
- And just where does the man-with-the-yellow-hat get his money to go on these extensive vacations?
- He doesn’t seem to work…unless he gets some money from the professor for his museum “work,” or Mr. Glass the town’s “rich man,” or perhaps he does some farming for Mr. and Mrs. Rankin??
- Which leads me to the next point…he has a city apartment, a country home and a little yellow convertible…hummm, independently wealthy?
- My suspicion is his parents (or grandparents) used to live in the country home, thus willing it to their son (who has no name).
- Not only does he have no name, but he doesn’t seem to have a wife or a girlfriend; a fact which really bothers my little girl, “Mommy, why doesn’t George have a mommy?”
- Nevermind the fact that Mr. Yellow Hat leaves George to his own devices a lot! I would never, in a million years, hop into my car and drive away leaving a small person (or monkey) at home alone, nor would I give him money to purchase donuts, or allow him on the subway, or take a bath on his own. Heeelloooo!!
Okay, so maybe it’s not George I’m so curious about…it’s the Yellow Man! In any case, the show (and the books) have me scratching my head (like a monkey–sorry, couldn’t resist). In case you are curious about George, click on these links to find out more:
PBSKids is where you can find the cartoon on your local channel and their website: