By Leslie Lindsay
I have this friend who seems to “get” the relaxation thing. I think we have a little something in common: I need to relax and she knows where to go to get the job done. Just last week, she invited me to join her at “The Salt Cave.” The what?! I wanted to know. I shook my head and sort of rolled my eyes, a bit dismissive of the idea. (You find it all here in this area of Chicagoland, so I guess I am not too surprised).
While I didn’t dismiss it altogether–afterall, I am sort of “into” alternative living in that I am a vegetarian (I eat tofu, yes), I practice yoga, and get accupuncture done from time to time. Okay…I may be interested. How can I decline a moment of relaxation?
And so I went to the Himalayan Salt Cave. And I loved it. It was very…uh, relaxing, just like it was supposed to be. But just what is this elemental escape?!
- A darkened room with no outside light
- Calm, relaxing musical sounds like rolling ocean waves, and wind chimes–almost so subtle you hardly notice it.
- A lounge chair (I think they have a special name, not recalling it)
- Salt sprinkled on the floor in a sort of “sandy beach” manner.
- No talking, no cell phones, no reading. Nothing. But you are dressed. It is not steamy or too hot (the temp that day, a cozy 76). Some folks even brought blankets. I will, too next time (yes, there will be a next time).
- The concept is that the salt’s natural negative ions help ease various ailments.
- You sit and breathe in all of this “good air” and walk out feeling good…
Here’s some more info on the salt cave experience:
- THE PLACE WE WENT: http://www.timelessdayspa.com/
- LOCAL ABC AFFILIATE REPORTS : http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?
- BENEFITS OF SALT: http://www.saltcave.us/salt_benefits.html
- FROM BRITAIN’S ‘TELEGRAPH:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/wellbeing/5286616/The-health-benefits-of-Britains-first-salt-cave.html
As for now, I think I will roll in some salt like my hound rolls in the grass!
And that is what is in my brain today, Thursday, April 5th 2012.
Aren’t friends great?